Eanes Elementary Class of 1902
Did you know that our campus has a fascinating history?
Did you know?
- The first Eanes School was formed in 1872? The
original schoolhouse, built by Robert Eanes was a small, one-room log
cabin. Its students (probably no more than twenty at the time) wrote
with limestone "chalk" --and they sat on benches made from split logs.
Over the next 25 years, Eanes School was housed in several different
structures and in several different locations. But, beginning in 1896,
when a "new" frame house was built to serve as a schoolhouse and
community church, Eanes School (and later, Eanes Elementary) has been
operating at the same location!
- The cemetary on our campus (directly across the parking log from the lower drop-off area) has approximately thirty graves?
- Today's art building was built in 1928 as a
chapel? The chapel was a community-wide project. All of the townspeople
carried stone in their wagons to the site and many lent a hand in the
construction. The Austin Fire Department donated a 75-pound bell to call
worshipers to church on Sunday and summon children to school during
the week. In 1956, EISD purchased the chapel, added windows and
partitioned the space to use as classrooms. (The bell found a new home
at Westlake Hills Presbyterian Church.)
- That the first Eanes PTA was formed in 1934?
Activities included the establishment of a daily hot lunch program
(cornbread and beans), the digging of a water well - and an annual bingo
- The current music building dates back to 1937?
The "rock schoolhouse" replaced the dilapidated frame house built forty
years earlier. It had two large classrooms, one with a small stage.
First through Third Graders were taught in one room; Fourth through
Sixth Graders in the other. The building also had indoor bathrooms with
hot and cold running water. The hot water proved to be particularly
useful: teachers rigged up shower stalls, with curtains made out of
sheets and brought soap and towels to school so that the school children
could get clean before school. (Many children had never had a hot
- The school children of the 30's and 40's loved to visit Beard's Store after
school? The little store, at the corner of Bee Cave Road and the dirt
lane that would become Westlake Drive, sold hamburgers, homemade
tamales, beer and soda water. Its kindly owner, "Pop" Beard, doled out
free candy to all of the kids when they stopped by. Along with the Eanes
School and Chapel, Beard's Store was a social center of the community.
- The large cement letters at the front of the
school have been there since the 50's? They were created and placed
there by schoolboard member, Fred Bulian. The Bulian family operated a
prosperous dairy farm in the Eanes area for many years. (Their 175 acre
property was located on what is now the Randall's shopping center, Las
Lomas and the Westwood Terrace neighborhood.)
- Throughout the 40's, 50's and 60's, the middle school and high school age students were bused to AISD's middle
schools and to Austin High School? The first "school bus" was actually
"a pick-up truck with a canvas top stretched over the back." (Westlake
High School was completed in 1970: Hill Country Middle School, in 1975)
- Our campus is home to the Eanes History Center?
It's that "mystery space" right next to the music room! Back in the
80's, the EISD was ready to tear down the old rock schoolhouse.
Fortunately, a group of forward thinking volunteers jumped in to save
the historic structures and community landmarks and Eanes History Center
was born. Currently, all EISD 3rd graders visit the Center as part of
their Texas History curriculum.
You can help preserve Eanes Elementary's fascinating history and keep history alive for the children.
History Center has amazing potential but it needs volunteers and
donations to become an incredible learning laboratory for our kids. If
you can help, please contact EE Front Office at 512-732-9100